Back to Home PageWelcome Guest! Register | Login | Home | Contact Us | Site Map | Advertise | FAQ | Search
Canadian Desi
    Charcha


        
  > Which TV to buy ?
Last Post | Newest Post
 
< [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ] [ 4 ] [ 5 ] [ 6 ] >

Which TV to buy ?




Hi ,

I plan to buy a TV this coming Boxing Day but not very well versed with the technological advancement & jargon in this field so thought of taking advice from CDs.

My requirements are as follows :

a. 50" +

b. Preferably LED .

c. VFM .. value for money ..

Not interested in top of the line latest models ... can plan to go for a semi latest model ..

Wondering if 'smart' TV can be made for with a streaming device .. if so smart TV can also be ruled out unless there are specific advantages .

HD Ready and 1080 p : Now that s something which I m not fully aware of .. what do these terms mean and are they synonymous ?

Lastly branded TV s such as Sharp , Samsung and less branded TV such as RCA , Insignia and the like .... for a 1 : 1 .. same screen size , same technology .. will there be a considerable difference ?

Lastly which brands and models should one look for given the above specs ? .. Budget ... $400 - $700 .... I was checking Black Friday US prices and they appear to be much cheaper across the border , but since not planning on a trip , Boxing Day is what I will be looking at ..

Thanks ..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Fido.

 
Fido

Senior Desi
Member since: Aug 06
Posts: 5266
Location: Canada

Post ID: 208531 03-12-13 13:31:00
Report Abuse
Full House
Senior Desi
Member since: Oct 12




Posts: 2267
Location:

WHAT IS HD TV AND 1080 p MEANS.... PLUS...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fido

Hi ,

I plan to buy a TV this coming Boxing Day but not very well versed with the technological advancement & jargon in this field so thought of taking advice from CDs.

My requirements are as follows :

a. 50" +

b. Preferably LED .

c. VFM .. value for money ..

Not interested in top of the line latest models ... can plan to go for a semi latest model ..

Wondering if 'smart' TV can be made for with a streaming device .. if so smart TV can also be ruled out unless there are specific advantages .

HD Ready and 1080 p : Now that s something which I m not fully aware of .. what do these terms mean and are they synonymous ?

Lastly branded TV s such as Sharp , Samsung and less branded TV such as RCA , Insignia and the like .... for a 1 : 1 .. same screen size , same technology .. will there be a considerable difference ?

Lastly which brands and models should one look for given the above specs ? .. Budget ... $400 - $700 .... I was checking Black Friday US prices and they appear to be much cheaper across the border , but since not planning on a trip , Boxing Day is what I will be looking at ..

Thanks ..



----

See this web link. : http://www.lg.com/ca_en/smart-tv/en/index.html?s_kwcid=TC|13078|tv%20smart||S|b|30577282187&gclid=CNat4oPglLsCFbBAMgodOFcAyg

You can get it here too at a slightly higher cost.

Current models... SMART TV. It is internet ready and wireless also. You can stop using the smart feature and make it DUMB.

There are currently four different labels: "HD ready", "HD TV", "HD ready 1080p", "HD TV 1080p". The logos are awarded to television equipment capable of certain features. Here we are getting into the technical side if broadcasting AND receiving.... I will leave it for another day. For every incremental step, the TV manufacturer will sqeeze you for an addtional fifty bucks or more.

3D.... THREE 'D' is good to have as it will be the way of the future.

1080 p .. : I will confuse you more. These are horizontal lines and they incrase the 'Vertical resolution" WOW.... In short the more the horizontal lines the closer the pixels get, but on the vertical plane. So, you get a better picture. Now they are into TWO TIMES THE HIGH DEFINITION which is one step higher. And they are there to see...

In Canada for 400 bucks you will only get the 50" box, no contents in it.
For 700 bucks you will also get the Free internet adaptor and a 1080p HD TV LED.

Look for LG, and if you can find a 240 Hz resolution, jump on it. Samsung will be my next choice. Any other, it will be your choice


FH.


 
Post ID: 208537 03-12-13 15:47:30
Report Abuse
dimple2001
Senior Desi
Member since: Apr 04




Posts: 2873
Location: Western Hemisphere


http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB9ORS0/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this few months ago from Amazon.com. The price at that time was $526 USD for 47"

At least, you can check out the features.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dimple2001

 
Post ID: 208538 03-12-13 16:07:26
Report Abuse
febpreet
Senior Desi
Member since: Jan 07




Posts: 3246
Location:


Fido,

Don't get into the trap of Smart TV. They trick you into spending more $$$ with these unnecessary features. You can have the 'dumb' one and buy a cheap Internet Streaming devise to compliment the TV, and for sure make it the Smartest. The result will ABSOLUTELY be the same. Look for Chromecast from Google - the cheapest one or Roku, AppleTV, Boxee, etc.

Anyhow, this post is supposed to be about TV. Let's come back to it.

If I were in your position, this is what I would buy:

1. 50
2. HDTV 1080P LED
3. Sharp or Samsung. Avoid Sony.
4. Go for the popular brand names. Not that unbranded, such as Insignia are low quality, but just for your peace of mind and bragging rights. Huh! Do people brag about owning a TV these days? No. I stand corrected. Lol Sorry for a terrible sense of humour.
5. Should have an USB connector most of the TVs now a days have this, but just in case. Bonus see if you can play movies by connecting your USB drive.
6. Refresh rate: the more the merrier, prefereably be 240Hz. But, for a layman even 120Hz looks quite good with 1080p (if youre not into spending much). I am a videophile and unfortunately become restless with less than perfect quality.

Read this for more into the refresh feature:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

8. Matte display. I would avoid the glass displays merely because I dont want another mirror in my home, especially while watching TV I dont want to see myself in it. Not that I am less than handsome ;).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.


 
Post ID: 208541 03-12-13 16:19:32
Report Abuse
san-hugo
Senior Desi
Member since: Aug 10




Posts: 2005
Location:



recently bought Sony Bravia 70'' 3D Smart . Excellent Stuff !
you can reduce the cost to half if you cut on 3D feature.

MUST go for Smart TV for the wireless connectivity. Too many advantages.
for example - (http://www.youtube.com/pair). You can watch all you tube videos on TV wireless-ly controlling stuff from laptop / tablet / smart phone. No hdmi.
in future we are sure to use wireless receiver, wireless speakers, wireless connectivity to gaming and blue rays players. No mesh of wire behind your TV unit. Will not be possible without a smart TV.


 
Post ID: 208542 03-12-13 16:57:23
Report Abuse
desi28
Desi
Member since: Apr 10




Posts: 67
Location:


Quote:
Originally posted by febpreet

Fido,

Don't get into the trap of Smart TV. They trick you into spending more $$$ with these unnecessary features. You can have the 'dumb' one and buy a cheap Internet Streaming devise to compliment the TV, and for sure make it the Smartest. The result will ABSOLUTELY be the same. Look for Chromecast from Google - the cheapest one or Roku, AppleTV, Boxee, etc.

Anyhow, this post is supposed to be about TV. Let's come back to it.

If I were in your position, this is what I would buy:

1. 50
2. HDTV 1080P LED
3. Sharp or Samsung. Avoid Sony.
4. Go for the popular brand names. Not that unbranded, such as Insignia are low quality, but just for your peace of mind and bragging rights. Huh! Do people brag about owning a TV these days? No. I stand corrected. Lol Sorry for a terrible sense of humour.
5. Should have an USB connector most of the TVs now a days have this, but just in case. Bonus see if you can play movies by connecting your USB drive.
6. Refresh rate: the more the merrier, prefereably be 240Hz. But, for a layman even 120Hz looks quite good with 1080p (if youre not into spending much). I am a videophile and unfortunately become restless with less than perfect quality.

Read this for more into the refresh feature:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

8. Matte display. I would avoid the glass displays merely because I dont want another mirror in my home, especially while watching TV I dont want to see myself in it. Not that I am less than handsome ;).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.


+1


 
Post ID: 208543 03-12-13 17:28:04
Report Abuse
AshwaniG
Senior Desi
Member since: Jul 04




Posts: 1476
Location: Convinient


With defined budget this is the choice at FS .. If you decide to go with FS lemme know I may be able to get you additional discount .
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/sony-sony-bravia-50-1080p-60hz-led-hdtv-kdl50r450a-kdl50r450a/10269268.aspx?path=535e5db83105d371854cce207aa8f31den02

60 Hz is entry level TV . I would suggest you to buy atleast 120 Mhz if not 240. Big difference in pic quality when watching games

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Growing Old Is Mandatory ..Growing UP is Optional

 
Post ID: 208544 03-12-13 17:57:57
Report Abuse
cdn_dude
Senior Desi
Member since: Dec 05




Posts: 939
Location:


Quote:
Originally posted by dimple2001

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB9ORS0/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this few months ago from Amazon.com. The price at that time was $526 USD for 47"

At least, you can check out the features.



LG TVs are good - I also have a LG 47 inch, 1080P, LED, 120Hz HDTV.

These TVs are good - and generally these days, all the HD 1080P LED TVs are "SMART"...If not, you can connect Roku/AppleTV (US $ 100 or less) to them to make them even smarter!!

This is I would buy:

-- 47 inch, 1080P, LED, 120Hz HDTV
-- Have WiFi and/or Ethernet
-- avoid cheaper brands such as Visio/Insignia
-- Samsung/LG/Sharp are good.
-- Sony TVs are overpriced.
-- Do not buy 60Hz TVs even if they are cheaper - stick to 120Hz or up!

My opinion: The LG TV sound is not too great (it is OK) and the clock does not work that well (runs slower and you have to adjust it from time to time)

I bought an extended warranty (and used it!). The video card inside "died" and they replaced it for free...


 
Last edited by: cdn_dude on 03-12-13 20:24:09
Post ID: 208548 03-12-13 20:20:55
Report Abuse
Fido
Senior Desi
Member since: Aug 06




Posts: 5266
Location: Canada


Thanks a lot Folks ,

For your inputs and advice .. Glad I asked and learned about the refresh rate .

Smart TV s internet connectivity ( apart from the HDMI) - is is smarter than that of the streaming devices - I mean do Roku / Apple TV offer more programming or functionality than regular smart TV s .. asking this as it might be better to buy a non-smart TV with a streaming player as this might need to be upgraded in future .

Also - Is the refresh rate apparent with gaming only or with regular TV programs and movies also ?

One hypothetical q - Suppose both these TVs cost the same .. which one to prefer (usage non gaming) :

a. 46" 1080p LED 120 Hz .
b. 55" 1080p LED 60 Hz .

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Fido.

 
Post ID: 208565 04-12-13 16:38:36
Report Abuse
sant
Senior Desi
Member since: Apr 07




Posts: 352
Location:


on some TV's flash does not work, so check that as well.

 
Last edited by: sant on 04-12-13 17:17:04
Post ID: 208567 04-12-13 17:14:18
Report Abuse
Contributors:
AshwaniG(2)  bhootnath(1)  cdn_dude(2)  desi28(1)  dimple2001(1)  febpreet(18)  Fido(13)  
Full House(3)  happywoman36(1)  hchheda(1)  love_n_peace(1)  MAK1(3)  peacock1(6)  rajcanada(1)  
san-hugo(3)  sant(1)  
< [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ] [ 4 ] [ 5 ] [ 6 ] >
 
Show Printable version
Send this page to a friend
Add to favorites
 



 
Web
CanadianDesi
Please Contribute!
Write an Article
Send Community News
Create Photo and Video Albums
Submit Good Pictures
List Useful Websites
Post Jobs
Submit Events
List for FREE!
Businesses
Classifieds
Social Organizations
Religious Places
Employment Agencies
Email Page
Your Email
Friend\'s Email

Advertise Contact Us Privacy Policy and Terms of Usage FAQ
Canadian Desi
© 2001 Marg eSolutions


Site designed, developed and maintained by Marg eSolutions Inc.
//-->