Doubt about tax and GST Credit as i did not fill RC151 before tax filing


Jump to Page:
< Previous  [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]    Next >




insomnia401   
Member since: Apr 11
Posts: 17
Location:

Post ID: #PID Posted on: 01-05-11 17:22:23

Hi everyone,

This question is to everyone in the forum. Could anyone please reply to this and provide me some thoughts. Please reply???????????

I am very much confused about HST/GST credit as i am a new immigrant in Canada Ontario arrived on September 2010. I had no information about the RC 151 form for GST/HST credit and did not fill the form in 2010. Later in 2011 March, i filed my first tax return and applied for GST/HST credit by ticking YES in form 1 of income tax form and send the paper application to CRA. Now my question is that, since i did not complete and send my RC 151 form in the year 2010 when i arrived, will i be eligible to receive the GST/GST credit for the October 2010.(as GST/HST credit was issued 3 times March, July and October and i arrived on August so only i guess i was eligible for October credit). Also i did not get any HST credit for January 2011.
Because i doubt it is only issued at the particular month and i did not fill the RC151 form for newcomers HST credit, i doubt that i dont get the HST credit for October 2010. Is it really ok to skip RC151 and only file the tax for that year in 2011 to receive the HST credit. If no, can i still fill the form of RC 151 for the Hst Credit even after filing the tax returns for 2010 in 2011. Also my friend did fill the form of RC 151 when he arrived in January and he got all the three installments of HST. I filed my tax returns a month ago and has not received any notice or any payments from CRA. I am so worried because in the CRA website, it is mentioned that if you dont get the HST credit even after ten days of issue, we have to contact CRA for payment. But for me, I did not get any credit even for January 2011 also as this is April going on.

I have also not mentioned anything about my income in india in the tax form but my friend did when he filled RC 151. Do i have to show my income from January 2010 to August 2010 (the period i was in india before landed in Canada) for any tax credits.

Please suggest me a detailed solution and reply.

Thanks in advance.

:(



Pramod Chopra   
Member since: Sep 03
Posts: 1284
Location: Pickering, ON

Post ID: #PID Posted on: 01-05-11 20:28:16

Quote:
Originally posted by insomnia401



Hi everyone,

This question is to everyone in the forum. Could anyone please reply to this and provide me some thoughts. Please reply???????????

I am very much confused about HST/GST credit as i am a new immigrant in Canada Ontario arrived on September 2010. I had no information about the RC 151 form for GST/HST credit and did not fill the form in 2010. Later in 2011 March, i filed my first tax return and applied for GST/HST credit by ticking YES in form 1 of income tax form and send the paper application to CRA. Now my question is that, since i did not complete and send my RC 151 form in the year 2010 when i arrived, will i be eligible to receive the GST/GST credit for the October 2010.(as GST/HST credit was issued 3 times March, July and October and i arrived on August so only i guess i was eligible for October credit). Also i did not get any HST credit for January 2011.
Because i doubt it is only issued at the particular month and i did not fill the RC151 form for newcomers HST credit, i doubt that i dont get the HST credit for October 2010. Is it really ok to skip RC151 and only file the tax for that year in 2011 to receive the HST credit. If no, can i still fill the form of RC 151 for the Hst Credit even after filing the tax returns for 2010 in 2011. Also my friend did fill the form of RC 151 when he arrived in January and he got all the three installments of HST. I filed my tax returns a month ago and has not received any notice or any payments from CRA. I am so worried because in the CRA website, it is mentioned that if you dont get the HST credit even after ten days of issue, we have to contact CRA for payment. But for me, I did not get any credit even for January 2011 also as this is April going on.

I have also not mentioned anything about my income in india in the tax form but my friend did when he filled RC 151. Do i have to show my income from January 2010 to August 2010 (the period i was in india before landed in Canada) for any tax credits.

Please suggest me a detailed solution and reply.

Thanks in advance.

:(




You did not get the credits as you had not completed and submitted the form RC151 as CRA based this credit on your last years income. Nothing to worry. Just complete the form and send it now and they will issue the credits for all the earlier period in one installment and will keep on sending quarterly checks till you keep on filing the returns.

The form is very simple and easy to complete and can be found here http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/gf/rc151/rc151-10e.pdf


-----------------------------------------------------------------


Pramod Chopra
Senior Mortgage Consultant
Mortgage Alliance Company of Canada



insomnia401   
Member since: Apr 11
Posts: 17
Location:

Post ID: #PID Posted on: 01-05-11 21:12:06

Hi Pramodji

Thanks a lot for the reply.

1. But still got doubts in mind. Do i have to print it and fill it and send it to CRA or can we do it online. I want to know also if i have to show my WORLD INCOME for gst credit and if yes how should i show it. coz i have the income tax returns for the last two years (2008 and 2009) and should i send that to CRA or what is the process? and can u please explain what to send to show WORLD INCOME OR WHAT IS WORLD INCOME.( I know its the income for the part of the year i was not in Canada but (how to declare it or what document do i send to prove it and how to make it to get maximum credit.)
2. Some one also told me about a written statement stating zero. If that is needed How do i do that !!!

3. Please tell me which years world income should i show!!!

4. Also please tell me which address i have to send !!!


5. And i also got no income tax returns . IS there any connection between filling RC151 (GST CREDIT) and income tax credit returns. Will i get a letter asking to show world income or should i contact CRA for that!!!!!!!


EXPECTING DETAILED ANSWERS FOR ALL QUESTIONS .

Thanks in advance .



Pramod Chopra   
Member since: Sep 03
Posts: 1284
Location: Pickering, ON

Post ID: #PID Posted on: 01-05-11 22:03:18

Quote:
Originally posted by insomnia401

Hi Pramodji

Thanks a lot for the reply.

1. But still got doubts in mind. Do i have to print it and fill it and send it to CRA or can we do it online. I want to know also if i have to show my WORLD INCOME for gst credit and if yes how should i show it. coz i have the income tax returns for the last two years (2008 and 2009) and should i send that to CRA or what is the process? and can u please explain what to send to show WORLD INCOME OR WHAT IS WORLD INCOME.( I know its the income for the part of the year i was not in Canada but (how to declare it or what document do i send to prove it and how to make it to get maximum credit.)
2. Some one also told me about a written statement stating zero. If that is needed How do i do that !!!

3. Please tell me which years world income should i show!!!

4. Also please tell me which address i have to send !!!


5. And i also got no income tax returns . IS there any connection between filling RC151 (GST CREDIT) and income tax credit returns. Will i get a letter asking to show world income or should i contact CRA for that!!!!!!!


EXPECTING DETAILED ANSWERS FOR ALL QUESTIONS .

Thanks in advance .




I hope you have read the pamphlet http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4055/t4055-10e.pdf which is for new come to Canada. Also you should have read this pamphlet http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc4210/rc4210-10e.pdf and according to your address in Canada, you would know the tax center where you have to complete the form RC 151 and send it. In fact, it is the same address where you sent your tax return.

Now for filling the form RC 151, I do not think you can submit it online but you can complete and mail it to your tax center. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. You simply have to state your income in equivalent Canadian Dollars for you and for your spouse, if any for the periods just before you became a Canadian PR. In your case, it would be for 1st January, 2010 till date you became Canadian PR. This is to be filled in STEP 1 of statement of income. In STEP 2 again you have to state in equivalent Canadian Dollars your income for the whole year 2009 from all your sources. You do not have to show your tax returns for another countries but simply state the income in equivalent Canadian Dollars. Do not show NIL income but mention the accurate figures.

2. Do not show NIL income but show the accurate income. You can use this link to find out the equivalent Canadian Dollars rates for your income. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/xchng_rt-eng.html

3. As mentioned above you have to simply state the income in equivalent Canadian Dollars for part of 2010 and for the year 2009.

4. You will see the address in the link mentioned earlier or it is the same where you sent in your tax return.

Hope it is clear now.

p.s. I also hope that you have filled in forms for CCTB if applicable to you.

Good Luck.


-----------------------------------------------------------------


Pramod Chopra
Senior Mortgage Consultant
Mortgage Alliance Company of Canada



insomnia401   
Member since: Apr 11
Posts: 17
Location:

Post ID: #PID Posted on: 02-05-11 01:06:54

Hi Pramodji

A million thanks for the information.

I am gonna send the RC 151 tomorrow itself . Do i not require to add a note or something showing the world income or is the RC151 only enough to be sent. I dont really know what was my income for that period so is it okay if i put an estimate figure. Can u please tell me how do they check the genuineness of my previous income or is this only a formality?. What is the figure u suggest to put for the maximum hst credit . I heard it is $8000 and it should not exceed that limit for max credit. I live in Mississauga so it should be the toronto address that i should send?
What if i put zero for the part of the year 2010 and the ITR Amount 144000 ($3500) for the 2009 year coz i dont know and there is no information for the year i have worked from jan 2010 to august 2010 as i did not fill the ITR in india for 2010. Is that okay? Or should i put a rough figure less than $3000 for the period from jan 2010 till august 2010?

I have no spouse too...

I am also applying for OSAP so will this delay in sending RC151will affect my OSAP in any way and how long will it take to get this processed and receive my hst/gst credit and income tax returns if i send my RC 151 on 02 may 2011??? Is not submitting RC151 causing delay in getting my INCOME TAX RETURNS too? Are they both connected???


Will not disturb u later after this i promise and a million thanks in advance for such an expert advice...



Pramod Chopra   
Member since: Sep 03
Posts: 1284
Location: Pickering, ON

Post ID: #PID Posted on: 02-05-11 08:57:43

Quote:
Originally posted by insomnia401

Hi Pramodji

A million thanks for the information.

I am gonna send the RC 151 tomorrow itself . Do i not require to add a note or something showing the world income or is the RC151 only enough to be sent. I dont really know what was my income for that period so is it okay if i put an estimate figure. Can u please tell me how do they check the genuineness of my previous income or is this only a formality?. What is the figure u suggest to put for the maximum hst credit . I heard it is $8000 and it should not exceed that limit for max credit. I live in Mississauga so it should be the toronto address that i should send?
What if i put zero for the part of the year 2010 and the ITR Amount 144000 ($3500) for the 2009 year coz i dont know and there is no information for the year i have worked from jan 2010 to august 2010 as i did not fill the ITR in india for 2010. Is that okay? Or should i put a rough figure less than $3000 for the period from jan 2010 till august 2010?

I have no spouse too...

I am also applying for OSAP so will this delay in sending RC151will affect my OSAP in any way and how long will it take to get this processed and receive my hst/gst credit and income tax returns if i send my RC 151 on 02 may 2011??? Is not submitting RC151 causing delay in getting my INCOME TAX RETURNS too? Are they both connected???


Will not disturb u later after this i promise and a million thanks in advance for such an expert advice...



If you do not have exact figures than I suppose you can put up best estimate but I can not advise you what figures to put there. If you still have questions, you can call CRA on the number mentioned in the RC 151 and they will guide you as to how to proceed.

Regarding your tax return, because it is your first return, it generally takes 6-8 weeks so nothing to worry there. On the OSAP forms you simply have to write the numbers you had in your tax returns on line 150, 236 and 260. I hope you do have a copy of the return you filed.

No need to be unnecessary anxious and apprehensive as these things do take their own time.

Good Luck.


-----------------------------------------------------------------


Pramod Chopra
Senior Mortgage Consultant
Mortgage Alliance Company of Canada



insomnia401   
Member since: Apr 11
Posts: 17
Location:

Post ID: #PID Posted on: 02-05-11 16:29:58

THANKS FOR ALL THE GUIDANCE AND ASSISTANCE . IT WAS REALLY HELPFUL AND INCREASED MY IDEA ABOUT CANADIAN TAX SYSTEM BEING A FIRST TIME TAX PAYER AND A NEWCOMER. THIS FORUM AND ESPECIALLY YOU IMPROVED MY CONFIDENCE . ONCE AGAIN THANKING YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE AND HELP.



Contributors: insomnia401(5) Pramod Chopra(3) Opinees(1)



Jump to Page: < Previous  [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]    Next >

Discussions similar to: Doubt about tax and GST Credit as i did not fill RC151 before tax filing

Topic Forum Views Replies
GST Credit Payments and its impact on sponsorship
Family Class 1528 1
Filling Online Forms
Independent Category 1782 5
Spousal Application from UK
Ask Immigration Expert 1599 3
IMM1000 Immigrant Visa and Record of Landing
Ask Immigration Expert 1427 0
Do I need to fill out DS-158 form for USA B1/B2 visa
Visiting, Traveling and Picnicing 1521 2
Information with Credit Agency ( 1 2 )
General 1680 7
Visitor Visa application form....
Ask Immigration Expert 1445 2
Anyone applied for PAN card? ( 1 2 )
Real Estate & Mortgages 2701 7
GST/HST Credit - Income from India
Accounting and Taxation 1627 1
HW 2 PAY PR APPL FEE USING CREDIT CARD
Independent Category 1230 1
2009 Tax Law Change for Home Sales : Question on Tax Credit
Accounting and Taxation 1300 3
Propert tax credit
Accounting and Taxation 1796 2
Did anyone use Studio tax 2009 free
Accounting and Taxation 1797 2
Does CRA require world income or landing amount for Gst HST credit? ( 1 2 3 4 )
Accounting and Taxation 9495 24
filing dependant return
Accounting and Taxation 1566 5
Not able to fill pdf form ( 1 2 )
General 1896 9
Basic Sales Tax Credit - Claim $100 missing from 2010 tax return?
Accounting and Taxation 1422 0
URGENT: Landing Without Family -- Seniors pls advise
Independent Category 1598 2
Newcomer tax and GST Credit as i did not fill RC151 before tax filing
Ask Immigration Expert 2889 0
Doubt about tax and GST Credit as i did not fill RC151 before tax filing ( 1 2 )
Accounting and Taxation 6648 11
Duplicate thread - closed
Insurance 1602 0
SO FAR NO HST/GST CREDIT for 1 yr AFTER FILLING RC151 AND FILING INCOME TAX
Accounting and Taxation 2070 2
Additional Family Information - (IMM 5406)
Family Class 2260 2
GST and Trillium benefits - URGENT
Accounting and Taxation 1493 3
Tax form for new immigrants ( 1 2 )
Just Landed 2982 11
 


Share:
















Advertise Contact Us Privacy Policy and Terms of Usage FAQ
Canadian Desi
© 2001 Marg eSolutions


Site designed, developed and maintained by Marg eSolutions Inc.